View Single Post
      03-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
airblade550
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118D Auto Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI35i View Post
I am getting business loud speakers in my car as don't have to pay extra... HK is £580 (Bit steep). If I get hold of the HK centre (mid range), HK front door (mid range) and HK rear shelf speakers would they just straight swap over? Not interested in faffing with changing amps adding tweeters etc.

I assume they are all same size/fitment and same connectors? Just better quality speakers? Might work out a decent upgrade without much cost/effort.

PS from what I can gather, the individual speakers are around £40 each so poss total upgrade around £200
i would be surprised if you complete the speaker upgrade for that price, (using genuine parts), unless of course u have access to a friendly parts dealer.

The main differences between HK and Pro are Amp power, eq, tweeters front and rear and of course better quality and higher power handling speakers.

In addition to the HK speakers, (if u choose the genuine upgrade path), would be mouldings front and rear plus some kind of x-over to filter the low frequences from the tweeters.

As has already been mentioned, the Pro is missing any tweeters and as you have mentioned you are not so worried about power. Therefore, the most cost effective and least hassle upgrade is just to add tweeters at the front only. You would still need the mouldings and x-overs but it would be much cheaper and a worthy quality increase. Better still to get some third party tweeters which would fit the mouldings and prob come complete with suitable x-overs.

Whilst the other speakers, door and parcel shelf would be better, it is unlikely without the xtra power supplied by the HK amp, that u would notice much of a difference...
Appreciate 0