View Single Post
      05-01-2016, 02:08 AM   #10
nelsonian101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: FGXR6T, M140i

Initially I was choosing between a Golf R and M135i. I do a lot of research. Am a Mechanical engineer and have 20 years of circuit/race experience. I first took the R for a test drive and was very impressed with the steering and chassis on change of direction. VERY impressed. Low down part throttle response was also something I wasn't expecting. Gave it a boot full from 70-110kmh on the freeway and it felt slow, but then everything would compared to the over powered (heavily modified 400rwkw) FGXT6T I currently drive.

The 6.5" screen on the Golf R was very small. 6.5" I think....
Iphone connectivity on screen was a bonus though.
But Bigger screen not currently available in Australia.

These Golf R's always seem not to lap that fast on circuit in the dry but I'm confident understeer, power and DSG bugs can all be improved with careful mods and wallet lightening.

2nd Golf R test drive, I went for a LONG drive on a twisty local road. Beautiful steering and chassis, and....ahem.....I flogged it.
Virtually impossible to get sideways on a public road unless of course, you're an idiot. Best to save that for a circuit.....
Off the line though it didn't seem as quick as I'd hoped. Bit of delay stalling with brake and throttle at the lights (Don't want to use launch control every single time). In 1st - up to 2nd it punched hard but then 2nd gear acceleration and 3rd were disappointing. SO slow to compared to my current monster but that was expected from a stock car, so no big issue. Didn't really like the artificial noise in race mode. Actually set up the individual parameters as Race spec, but normal noise but guess it's personal pref.

I still rate the Golf R very highly though.
Just that I think it was too easy to drive fast for me. Very little involvement. As much as I hate to quote James May, the "fizz" wasn't there. I'll also go against Clarkson's recommendation of basing an entire decision based on a full throttle (old man skills) aquaplane at 200kmh....
Just planting the throttle on the Golf R, with zero wheelspin (not even an anticipation, eventually) seemed boring.
I think rwd is for me. Too old to change. I tried.

Then to the BMW dealership....
Won't mention which one, but they were wankers.
More interested in the shoes I was wearing and car I currently drove.
First salesman had no clue when I asked if the bottom right cooler was for engine oil or ZF.
Tech guy was great though and answered all my questions.
Didn't have a test drive car but from first impression, cabin quality was excellent.
You heard it here first, dare I say it, superior to a 2008 FG Falcon......(must have been the dealership lighting )
But seriously, way better the Golf R too in my opinion.
Loved the Aluminium touches and seats.
Harman Kardon box may have to be ticked too.

Overall the M135iwas awesome.
Round wheel felt thick. Very, very good. The test drive, sound and midrange felt great.
Nice driving position. Intuitive ZF.
It will be my choice.
Appreciate 0