02-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Paint Peel under the Arches

Hey,

My 62 plate 120d M Sport is in the bodyshop today for paint peeling under the arches on the front bumper bar. BMW have agreed that this is a manufacturing defect and therefore will be doing it under warranty. The effects can be seen on both sides just inside the wheel arch. I originally noticed this after washing the car, when the paint was lifting and sitting atop the pooled water on the plastic lip. Im also going to get them to adjust the bonnet, it seats perfectly on the passenger side, yet needs a real hard shove to make it click into place on the drivers side.

The Bodyshop reckons the plastic hasnt been keyed properly, and until they start stripping it back they are unsure whether this would peel back onto the front side of the bumper itself. Has anyone else noticed this on theirs, and if you havent looked, might be worth checking both the front and rear bumpers? The rear bumper appears to be fine on mine tho, although harldy surprising since these parts are all painted in different parts of the factory.

What are your thoughts?

Ive been loaned a 116i Sport in black that i picked up this morning. Nice motor, although i'm already missing the comforts of the m-sport pack over the sport in interior comfort. I do enjoy the sound of a petrol once again, and the turbo spooling is nice; its just a little underpowered from what i am used to. I might post up some more comparisons of the 116i vs 120d for those interested.

Heres some pics of the peeling paint, sorry for the quality and blurryness: iPhone pics unfortunately!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0