View Single Post
      06-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #469
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus

Like the X1, I imagine that it may look better in person than in photos. That being said, if it were truly a good design, this wouldn't be necessary. It's kind of like someone telling you to marry an unattractive woman, as you'll get used to her looks eventually. To get people to part with the kind of money BMW asks for their cars, it needs to jump off of the page and make you want to buy it.

As for the hatchback and wagon haters here in the USA, you've been conditioned to think that these types of cars = cheap/ugly. Done right, they can really look better than their sedan counterparts and are much more practical. I saw an Audi S4 Avant in an Audi display near the Munich airport last month that looked fantastic compared to the dull S4 sedan sitting next to it.

Ditto with the four-cylinder petrol and diesel versions. The BMW 2002 was a fun little car back in the day and a modern version would be welcome. Getting 40-50 miles per gallon in a fun to drive package at a reasonable cost seems right for the times. Not all BMW's have to be 6 or 8 cylinder M cars, as some people don't need this for their daily driver.

Personally I'd like to see BMW bring four cylinder gas/diesel 1 series and 3 series hatch/wagon variants to the US, as the market might surprise them. My wife wouldn't mind an Audi A3 diesel, but I can't get past their poor reputation for longevity. How many 10-year-old Audis do you see on the road? Clean up the front/rear fascias on the new 1 series and give it a shot over here.
'17 Audi A4 Ultra, Monsoon Grey, Wife's car
Appreciate 0