View Single Post
      02-21-2013, 04:11 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
The tyres have plenty of traction, but they require some slip to provide it. The DSC is set to react to very small amounts of slip, and will not allow the soft tyres to build up grip. It does not matter if it is a 120d or a 114i. You can tell the car your tyres should be allowed more slip by selecting DTC or Sport+. Or you can use tyres that do not need so much slip to provide normal grip.

This is not an F20 issue. Even my 323ti from previous century had the same problem with the ASC system when running soft winter tyres. I had the lamp blinking in fifth gear on dry tarmac with unsuitable tyre models.
So what you are saying (as I have a typical tyre for my winter climate), some models must have more interference from the DSC. I don't typically use DTC, as I don't need to on cold dry tarmac, there just isn't DSC interference on the 330d, or on the 535i. Get on snow and it is of course different, but even on wet roads a low temperatures I have not found any issues.

Perhaps it is me, as a driver, how I accelerate? I don't just jump on the throttle, all smooth movements as I was taught many years ago. I come from the age when jumping on the throttle in a BMW caused many to end up in the hedge, or worse. E28, E30 and the like.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0