02-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm a bit surprised that a 120d would have such issues with tyre grip in the UK, unless it is lack of weight in the 1-series, or it's the tyres themselves.

I have run winter tyres on an E91 330d touring, now on an F11 535i touring and I've not had issues with traction or grip. I use the full power (including kickdown) and don't have any traction interference. 330d had Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme, the 535i has Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D fitted.

If I pull off hard in the 535i I may have a little 'chirp' from the tyres, but definitely plenty of grip once rolling.

HighlandPete
The tyres have plenty of traction, but they require some slip to provide it. The DSC is set to react to very small amounts of slip, and will not allow the soft tyres to build up grip. It does not matter if it is a 120d or a 114i. You can tell the car your tyres should be allowed more slip by selecting DTC or Sport+. Or you can use tyres that do not need so much slip to provide normal grip.

This is not an F20 issue. Even my 323ti from previous century had the same problem with the ASC system when running soft winter tyres. I had the lamp blinking in fifth gear on dry tarmac with unsuitable tyre models.
Appreciate 0