02-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #84
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
I searched on youtube for "M135i xdrive test" and this is the only video I found (with an actual test, the other videos were just video from Paris autoshow presentation of the M135i xdrive)

Mind you, it has 6 minutes of footage, and it's 6 minutes of driving in snow
Where are the real life videos of RWD vs AWD on a race track ?
(not a M135i vs GTR, that is not a fair comparison)

And here is the BMW commercial for Xdrive on M135i:

Mind you, this video is about a "young woman" who is a snowboard champion ("SNOW" again) that wants to be "always in control."

The fact that they use a snowboard girl to market the Xdrive product.. I didn't go to marketing school, but I just use common sense to understand what the target marketing group is then, not ? ...

On BMW website/marketing, Xdrive has a faster 0-62 launch than Sdrive models.
On Porsche website/marketing, a 911 Carrera has a faster 0-62 launch time than the 911 Carrera 4S.

Where's the logic ? Or is it just marketing mumbo jumbo after all ?
They even position it as a driving a capella recording studio here...

Probably having surf and board babes figurating in their promo's is not as much an insult to the blokes buying them? On the other hand, it would work as the perfect catalyst to convince my wife to buy one and put it on my drive yard: because she thinks she will be looking sharp, sportive and it's safe?

Of course MKT is mumbo jumbo, who cares? But this is also true when BMW told us that they would never do diesels, or never would do anything else than RWD, or never woud even consider forced induction, or SUVs, or have an automatic M car. They probably also told us they would never consider AWD for a lot of hard engineering facts. It was all fake purist nonsense to get the money out of your pocket while you where convinced you paid this much for a "pure" car of a "pure" brand while feeling good about it!

I guess we all see the birth of a more feminine BMW, more on practicality, more on safety and economics, and less and less on hard purist natural induced big displacement and multi cilinders with manuals in powerslide actions in locked diffs. Since BMW understood that the decision is finally less and less determined by those aural and mythical elements that are left unexploited in daily commutes anyway.

A carrera has his weight mainly on the rear wheels, make sense that AWD doesn't add as much. When you could check the delta on a high powered Audi, you'll notice that it brings even a lot more than on the BMW... but high powered FWD Audi's don't exist, so you can't compare this.
Appreciate 0