Madgambler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Hartge, M Xorst, Quaife, B1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffoul232 View Post
If the car is 320hp, but on the dyno it's giving around 340hp, a tune ie hartge when they give figures of 360 hp is it based on the 320 where we get 40 extra hp or is it based on 340 where we only get an extra 20? I feel that if you just remapped a 340 hp car it should easily get to 390 hp right?
Clearly it's not that simple and as I've discovered not every car seems to respond to the same mod in the same way.

I suppose there's only so much tweaking to the injectors and turbo air you can get away with without falling foul of whatever safety margins BMW have built in to the their own ECU software.

Maybe what Hartge and AC and others have found and promise with their piggy-back units is that their boxes can push the car up to the top end of the tolerance levels in a reliable way without invalidating the warranty? If so then this seems to be around the 360-mark.

In my case 20 HP does sound pitiful, but the torque curve remap has been the real gain for me, because I'm able to use more of the power more of the time in more of the gears.

When BMW bring out their own M chip upgrade it will be insteresting to see if the BMW ECU raises its own tolerance limits a bit further still.