Thread: 116d or 116d ED
View Single Post
      08-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
ghostbmw
Rep
Drives: BMW

116d or 116d ED

Hi guys,

After a couple of months reading you all (let me say that this is by far the most active forum for 1 Series I have seen in the web), I made the decission to join myself this forum. It was not easy as I had several problems with the register process (it seems that my IP was in a kind of blacklist or something like that), but finally I was able to complete the registration process, so here I am.

First of all, let me introduce myself, my name is Jose and I'm from Spain (since now my apologies from my english grammar mistakes...) and I will be the future owner of a BMW 1 Series 116d or 116d ED, still not sure.

Well, I'm about to order a new F20 in next days and I'm still have doubts between normal 116d an ED version. I know there have been some discussions about this, but I would like to ask you again because in Spain, both cars have exactly the same price, and also they have same taxes, etc... this is, money is not a factor to make the decission as both costs the same and we don't have (at least at this moment) city taxes for pollution or taxes like that.

My first decission, was to go for the ED version, as I saw that both (normal and ED), had the same power, same torquee, and ED was only 0.2 sec. slower in 0-100 acceleration (10.3 for the normal version and 10.5 for the ED one). But further research I saw that ED version seems to be significantly slower on the 80-120 kmh acceleration in 4th and 5th gear: 8.6 and 11.7 for the normal version, while the ED needs 10.2 and 14.2. So after discovering that, I changed my decission to the normal 116d. Anyway, after reading your comments one time and another, it seems that 116d ED owners are quite happy with the car... so, I have a serious doubt about the version to choose.

Taking that into account, and remember that money is not a factor in Spain which car you will go? Will you go for the 'extra' power of the normal 116d or will you go fot the ED version to take advantage of its reduced fuel consumption? My dealership advised me to order the normal 116d...

Any feedback, comments will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance guys!
Appreciate 0