10-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel20 View Post
All bmws for South Africa were assembled here in the 80s due to international trade restrictions. So they had to streamline. I don't see the point of buying a premium car with a pathetic spec because then all you are really paying for is the badge.
For me, BMW is the only rear wheel drive car in the class, and the car with the best and most entertaining handling. How it drives is by far the most important feature. Some of the options makes the car less interesting to drive, as it takes control away from the driver, and makes it heavier and more sluggish. Even in completely stripped out form, it is still the only RWD car in the class, and it still has superior handling. That is what I expect from the badge. Not a rolling spa resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel20 View Post
As for the sliding armrest, its a tiny little cost for a feature you don't use. Would you prefer a fixed arm rest, or just a hole where an armrest should go?
A fixed arm rest would be an improvement, as I could actually lean on it when readjusting myself in the seat without the arm rest sliding away. It would have been even better if it was completely gone, so it would not get in the way of my elbow when I work on the steering wheel or gear lever.

When a tall person adjusts the seat all the way down, the arm rest stays put, and will of course interfere with the arm. I usually fold it back when driving in a spirited way, but I remember my arm rest in my previous BMW eventually got worn, causing the arm rest to fold down again every time I was braking hard.
Appreciate 0