05-20-2016, 09:22 PM   #23
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
Generally, I'm not sure anyone whom is truly ambitious would ever leave a private sector job for a government job...unless it's in a function like FBI or CIA agent or political, etc.

Absolutely. Hence I am not overly excited about it.

I'd ride this offer out to see where it goes but I'd really analyze your long-term trajectory. There is something to be said for building career equity at a current job that might help your career more than going elsewhere...especially if the TARGET is only 15-20%.

One concern is you framed the "new" company environment as "relaxed". This is not consistent with making more money.

It's more relaxed and less red tape compared to previous job in similar industry. Based on what the manager said when I interviewed with her, there is room for mobility (at least to different functions - not sure about how quickly upward mobility can occur).

If anything, keep looking and see what you find.

One important question: WHY are you fixated on a 15-20% salary increase? I mean, it sounds like your contract gig going FT is pretty imminent, no?

I just thought that number would make the job more attractive. So really just a number that I threw out there for myself. With that said, that number is really so I can see how I can do in that industry and perhaps use that to my advantage. Even if they do offer me what I want, I would have to think long and hard about leaving the current one.

Yes. Spoke with my manager and he said that he had pushed the paperwork through. Just waiting to hear back from HR now. He told me this earlier this week and mentioned that the process does take some time. I haven't heard anything the last few days and will definitely follow up Monday.

There are a few things here that don't quite jive.

I'd only leave a job if I couldn't stand it, if I were about to get fired, or if I were grossly underpaid and there's no future in sight - and I were unable and had been unable to rectify these issues.

Honestly, I don't see a 10-15% salary increase as meaningful unless there's a specific reason. If, say, your current per annum is $100k, a $10k annual increase is only about $580/month more in take home. It's not enough to dramatically change your lifestyle.
You're right on the last point as well. Like I said, it probably isn't enough for me to switch. It's more of a way for me to see how much I'm worth to the new company and thus would like to see their best offer.
Appreciate 2