View Single Post
      11-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Replaced brake pads

Our 116iM has been driven quite a bit on race tracks, so the brake pads were ready for replacement up front at around 24000 km. At the back, more than 50 percent pad material is still left.

The iDrive says I have 2 200 km left in the rear, and 120 000 (!) km up front, so the car really doesn't have a clue.

It was rather easy to swap the pads. On my previous BMWs I have used a 7 mm allen bit, but BMW have changed this to 8mm. Luckily my 8 mm allen key was enough to do the job. I didn't need the ratchet.

It was possible to take the caliper spring on and off with just my fingers, and I could also push back the piston without tools, so the whole job was done very quickly. If I had larger wheels (18"), I think I could have done it with the car standing on the wheels.

After I reset the service counter for the front brakes, it still said 120 000 km left. My dealer said it was abolutely necessary to replace the brake pad sensor, but I doubt this advice, so I just swapped over the old one to the new pad.
Appreciate 1
No one1047.50