South Africa
Rep
Drives: F30 320i M Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 116i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
I also, have hired several 320i in RSA. 'Woeful' is putting it nicely

They are definately detuned in comparision to the same car sold here in Aus and elsewhere where I have hired them

It appears that the 320i built in RSA for the local market must have detuned engines in them for some reason.

I have recently driven a mates F20 118i sport and the difference is very noticeable. The 118i would eat the old 320i for breakfast. I cannot wait to get my 125I M sport (even more horses).

I don't think the 1er is being built in RSA for the local market, (there weren't any on the hire car company lists when I was there a couple of weeks back).

Good news for the RSA locals who want fire under the bonnet not hot air. Buy a 1er, Then they get the German built car.

Also the prices for the 1er are not much different to the 3er there in RSA which makes me think the new 3er is being built there (I wonder if it is detuned)

Our RSA guys can shed more light on that.
Some light on the 3er in RSA...

Yes the 3er for the RSA market is built in the country, 1er is imported...

I have driven a couple of E90s here, none of which were hired. Have not driven the F30s yet. I can only say the E90s did not feel detuned at all, and they still drive better that the F20s, but not much.

There is a rumor that the 3er available for hire are somewhat detuned to some extent. That said, I am inclined to believe it now that someone who is not South African feels that its not on par with its international siblings.

Re. prices...the 1er is rather pricey, but all worth it. Comparing with the 3er, the base model of 3er is similar to a more extras packed 1er...so AusF20 is right in saying you are better off with a 1er.

It is worth noting though, that the 3er is the best selling car in its class in the country, and being manufactured locally makes it the primary profit generator for BMW SA. I do not think BMW would risk the sales by producing an inferior product against the likes of the Audi A4/A5, which by the way, are fast catching to the 3er in the market.

Also if we were to compare the price with international prices, the local price is still far more expensive. Thus, the 1er is your best option still!
Appreciate 0