03-01-2024, 09:27 PM   #68
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
Don't want to pick on you, but people need to stop repeating old wives tales.

A - You will not "screw up the EVAP system of a modern car by having the engine running while refueling".

B - In older cars the EVAP test could run while you were refueling. And if you were unlucky enough for it to run twice on refueling stops you could set up the CEL. But it would be trivial to clear. It is the same thing that happens if you leave you gas cap off.

C - Newer cars only perform the EVAP test at highway speed. So, unless you have a tanker at highway speeds next to you refueling your car, you can't trigger that CEL.

In other words - nothing bad will happen by refueling a modern/newer car with the engine running. It is done all the time. No one blows up. No EVAP systems get harmed.

Now let's discuss how dangerous it is to refuel your car that New Jersey requires you to have a teenager or a poorly educated, non-English speaking immigrant to do it for you. As we all know, all laws make perfect sense.
I guess my wife's car never does the evap test as she never gets on the freeway. She just drives around town.
Appreciate 0