07-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #33
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
True, although I suspect it's extremely unlikely you'll generate a +10psi change, even on twisty public roads, unless there is also an accompanying increase in ambient temps during the drive.

As to tyres. I thought the opposite: new tyres generate less heat, relative to worn tyres due to differences in the contact area. It would be marginal, at best. Under inflated tyres also generate more heat.
I could make a 10 psi difference on a twisty road, but I won't! :-)
It is just a matter of driving in such a way that the tires are constantly screaming for mercy. You can build a lot of heat by doing 10 consecutive laps in a roundabout.

The heat generated in a tire comes mostly from rubber hysteresis. The ground deforms the tread pattern, and then it bounces back to the original shape once per tire revolution. New tires have more tread flex, thus more heat is generated. That is why new tires have horrendous tire wear during track days, while a well worn tire has a lot less wear. It runs cooler.

The tires that build the most heat, are studless winter tires. They have very soft and flexible tread.
Appreciate 0