View Single Post
      07-29-2013, 03:27 AM   #26
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

The effect of road use on tyre pressures is quite interesting, so today I conducted an experiment. I had to complete quite a long trip - 630 km end-to-end. The attached pic shows this was completed at an average 94kph

Before I set off, I carefully checked and equalized all tyre pressures at 34psi front, 36 psi rear. These were set cold, in an ambient temp of 13C.

I measured them again, just then, at the completion of the drive. The last section of the drive was about 90 minutes at 110kph (GPS, on a heavily policed motorway). Tyre pressures were 35.5psi F, and 36.5psi R. Ambient temp is again 13C, although it was as high as 22C during the trip.

My conclusions:
  1. in day-to-day driving, ambient temps are as big a factor as road heat, although there is an effect (that's why you should check tyre pressures when there are big changes in ambient temps)
  2. Front (steering) tyres are more affected...makes sense...more friction, generating heat
  3. This is quite different to track driving, where there are big frictional effects at both ends, generating heat
Appreciate 0