BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
I am excited about this. Heres why...

First off, I dont like the design, I dont like Front wheel drive, nor do I really care about megacity, eco, or passenger oriented vehicles. BUT, I do LOVE and value my M3, I loved my previous M3s, and even non-M BMWs I've owned.

With that said, BMW NEEDS to make money. While its so easy for us to sit back and criticize the decisions being made to offer these small, FF vehicles and non performance oriented vehicles, BMW is fighting one heck of a difficult battle against the likes of audi and MB.

Unlike BMW, Audi has an incredible amount of resources at its disposal. Technology, information, parts, and MONEY are shared amongst the parent company VW. Audi's family is very big. Audi is part of a 10 BRAND family including VW, Porsche, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Bentley, to name a few.

Whereas BMW only has BMW, Mini, and license to Rolls Royce.

BMW does not have 16-20k eco cars like VW does that are insane money makers for VW and in return fund Audi to make cars that will eventually kick BMWs ass. Nor does BMW have insanely HIGH profit yielding vehicles that Porsche does as the highest profit margin auto maker in the world.

So, do you want BMW to start charging you $150,000 for an M3? Do you want BMW to lose in the long run against Audi due to lack of funds and resources? Or would you rather they make a new "money maker" segment like eco FF passenger cars to fund the development of the enthusiast cars we REALLY like??

I'm all for it. BMW, make what you have to make, weather it be ugly, front wheel drive, whatever... as long as you make enough money to afford to make the badass cars you are known for making, without having to water them down or passing high cost over to your loyal clients.

Bravo on your efforts to do it on your own, instead of merging or selling the BMW brand to a bigger company to survive.
Well put!!!! That's exactly it! If they don't have the money, they will not continue to be able to build the cars we all love.