View Single Post
      06-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #66
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

I'm not usually one to make bold decrees of success or failure based on a car's styling alone, but I sincerely worry that the exterior design of this car is going to badly hurt 1 Series sales. It looks so awkward in the front and rear that I can't imagine people overlooking the design no matter how nice the interior is and how well it drives. This is one of the only BMWs that I would truly call ugly, but that's how I feel about it.

I always wonder how a nearly objectively poor car design can make it all the way to production without someone saying something about it before it's too late. Remember the early 1990s Buick Skylark with the arrowhead-shaped front bumper spear -- how could no one jump up and scream "it's ugly and completely unsafe?" I know people don't want to make waves at risk to their own personal standing or job stability, but sometimes you have to speak up at any cost.

Someone needs to fall on their sword for this. I predict an early mid-cycle refresh like Acura had to do with the garish TL.
Appreciate 0