View Single Post
      11-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #55
MyCorvette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe View Post
The E30 M3 won races, the E36 M3 won in sales figures. But the question wasn't about the E30 or the E36, it was about the E30 325i and M3.

And actually, it wasn't so much a question but more of an example how a 4 cylinder could be better than a 6 cylinder.
I am not questioning the performance aspect of the E30 M3. Mechanical performance won't guarantee sales. For example, it is not hard to get 1000+ hp using a turbo V8, V10 or V12 without any issue, but Bugatti decided to use a W16 in Veyron. It is not because of mechanical/technical aspects but aims to achieve the product's social status/position goal.

E30 M3 is the only car in BMW's recent history that a M car has fewer cylinders than its non-M version. After E30, next generations such as E36, E46, E90 M3's engine all have equal or more number of cylinders than their non-M versions. If using fewer cylinders for M car is really successful, BMW won't refuse to do it again, but they just do not do it after E30.

You see, more cylinders means more cost to manufacture, more heavy weight on the front etc. But BMW still do it, there must be some very strong reasons.
Appreciate 0