Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i and 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau_Rouge111 View Post
I hope they make it and it sells low volume....i prefer a natural low production collector car vs an artificial/arbitrary production run car...keeps the damn speculators away

I bought mine in '06, when production started 1/2 way through the year in March and ended in August (mine was an August 2006 build for a September 2006 delivery). I had put in a deposit in mid April as soon as I found out they're going in to production for sure, but ALL the local dealership had sold their allocations all the way up to August at that point. The 5 months wait was excruciating, as my sales advisor can attest.

By mid November of '06 they were starting to pile up on the dealership lots. By January of 2007 BMW started to offer incentives on them, at first just $5,000, and even then the cars weren't moving off the lot. By mid 2007, all the way to the end of production in 2008, the $10,000 trunk cash was a common knowledge and no dealership I know of kept the cash. They were all thrown in with the cars sold to help them move. Even then, there were still NEW chassis built near the end of 2008 that were sitting on the lots well into 2009. I've even heard of one being sold as "new" as late as 2010, or dealership finally giving up and putting them into loaner service (although, given the fact that only about 7% of the population can drive the car, I don't know what good it would do as a loaner).

Given the cost to federalize the car, I don't think BMW gains anything by only making 500-800 available for sale. This isn't like the 1M where there are significant "halo" effects percolating into future sales. The 2 seat sports coupe market is saturated with products that offer better performance, better brand recognition, or better price point (sometimes all three). Unlike the 4 seat sports sedan market that BMW has already carved out, this is a market that BMW is never going to win back, so for them to even consider a 2 door, 2 seat M coupe based off of the roadster is asinine. Even for them to bring out a new Z4 Roadster it is required for them to share development cost with Toyota and outsource manufacturing to one of their tier 1 partners, Magna Steyr International. Remember, this car will NOT be built at any of BMW's manufacturing facilities.

So while we as enthusiasts can all sit here and decry "give us the coupe!" In all reality BMW knows, once the first few hundred are sold, there's no true "market" for a 2 seat performance sports coupe, not one they can win (FFS, I looked into getting a new C7 Stingray, and Chevy was running a $7,500 on 2017s effectively dropping a base C7 to less than $50K!). Would I like to see it happen? YES. As evidenced by the Z3M Coupe's rise in value after the Z4M Coupe, I am hopeful someday BMW will bring back another Z4M Coupe so my E86 can enjoy the fruit of additional exposure to this, what I considered, one of the last of the great analog BMWs built.

But it ain't going to happen. Go ahead BMW. Prove me wrong.
I agree with you....I'm not expecting to see another one. At then end of the day...anyone who wants a hardtop Z4M will have to convince us owners to part with them...no one is convincing me anytime soon....love my car.
Appreciate 0