Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Instead of the original six speed manual and 4.9 liter (S62) engine featured in earlier Z8's, the Alpina came only as an automatic, using a 5-speed BMW Steptronic transmission allied to a downgraded 4.8L Alpina-tuned V8 motor from the Alpina E39 B10 V8 S.
thanks for the additional info, but that doesn't entirely answer my question, and unfortunately just leads me to more questions. so without further ado, what exactly was the V8 from the e39 Alpina B10? was it 1) a de-tuned version of the S62, 2) a similar V8 that was derived from the S62, or 3) a completely different motor altogether?

i mean, i understand that the Alpina motor's displacement is slightly less than the S62's, but i don't know if that's due to a different bore, stroke, or combination thereof. i would imagine for simplicity's sake that its just a difference in stroke...which would mean that the Alpina motor could very well be an S62 block with a shortened stroke, and not necessarily an entirely different block. but that's ultimately what i'm trying to find out.