08-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #21
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
all the reviews praise 328i handling. the only really good review that I have seen of F20 is M135i. I have test driven both extensively and F30 rides better and handles even better than the either of the F20s that I drove although they weren't M135i. also what you say is not true. F30 328i weight distribution is even more rear biased than F20. 49 percent on front and 51 percent on rear axel because of lighter engine and is much less understeer prone than F20 which is something that I have noticed also. F30 is much superior machine specially in 328i guise
There is more to weight distribution than the axle ratio. The most important factor is how far the weight is from the center of gravity. Being a smaller car, the weight is placed closer in the M20. This improves the turn in response.

My F20 M Sport has a square tire setup, and I think the balance is very good. Going into corners, the rear end can be stepped out by feathering the brakes, and there is as good as no understeer under power on corner exits. Actually less than any other BMW I have driven on tracks, and that is quite a few.

The turbo lag can be slightly annoying, but I guess that would be the same for all new BMWs.
Appreciate 0