Madgambler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Hartge, M Xorst, Quaife, B1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
My observations are as a new owner. First, I find the zf8AT much smoother than our Golf 7sp DSG

I think I have a sense of what you're describing as "jerkiness". If what I think it is is correct, it is the g/b shuffling gears (usually downshifting) while you are traveling slowly. It's doing this to prepare for anticipated acceleration, rather than staying in a higher gear, and then putting a fairly uncomfortable kick-down jerk through the transmission when you accelerate. This sensation is even more evident to me when in Sport, or Sport+ mode, but I don't find it unpleasant.

To test this, you can simply push the lever over to manual, and see if the jerkiness is eliminated while you hold the car in, say, 3rd gear, and speed up or slow down
I find the ZF8AT much smoother than my 997 5-Speed Steptronic box although obviously much busier, but then that's not surprising I suppose.

I've found that the 'S' Auto setting will immediately increase throttle sensitivity in its own right without even touching the adaptive suspension button. If you keep your foot on the gas pedal when you flick the selector across you'll see what I mean immediately. The revs jump with no extra applied pressure to the pedal, nor a gear change.

Follow this with a dab on the adaptive suspension button, from Comfort to Sport, and the revs will increase again with no appreciable gear change as far as I can tell. This takes a bit of getting used to.

Personally I'd prefer it if switching to 'S' mode on the gears would automatically switch up from the Comfort setting and avoid this secondary step change. Can't imagine anyone wanting a sportier gearbox setting without wanting a firmer ride and more aggressive throttle response to be honest.

Also I think my 'S' mode will never, ever, select 8th gear on its own at legal road speeds. Which is a bit annoying because I have to nudge it manually which switches it to Manual mode.

So for me the answer is clear, the gearbox and ECU flirt with each other by design.

There's less of an effect switching back to Comfort and Auto gears although I have noticed that the gearbox will make heavier use of engine braking if just the selector is switched.

This caught me out a bit when I pressed the Comfort button at the end of a slip road whilst still slowing down as the box changed up a gear unexpectedly when I was coasting. So in the end I had to apply more brake than I expected as less speed than I wanted was scrubbed off.

Last edited by Madgambler; 04-17-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0