View Single Post
      04-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
TitanNut88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3CxDrive & GR Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo
Sounds completely normal to me. Imagine you were driving an 8sp manual in each situation, what would you be doing in terms of gear shifts? The box is trying to make those same decisions, albeit without seeing what you're seeing. As for the "unnecessary" kick down, you did say you "slammed the throttle pedal". It's in Sports mode, it gets kicked in the guts, so it responds as I would expect this gearbox to, by dropping down two gears and holding the changes until redline.
When I say three shakes I don't mean three gear changes. Car was almost stopped, maybe not 5 km/h but 1 km/h. I can recognize when car is decreasing gears and that was not a normal gear decreasing. Let me explain it in another way: car was stopped (or should have stopped) with the brake pedal pressure I was doing. It unbraked and made 3 shakes and stopped again. Very strange.

The kick-down itself doesn't bother me a lot as I am sure BMW engineers are far better than me on deciding which gear to choose, what I found strange was the time spent changing gears. I think I read that gear changes are done in 0.2 seconds, well, that took almost 2 seconds, as if the gearbox didn't know what to do.

Sorry if I don't explain myself clearly enough and thank you for you reply...