View Single Post
      11-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #16
and0rea
Rep
Drives: F21 120d

Hi all,
I would like to check if a retrofit of the automatic AC is possible is possible on F20/F21 cause I (wrongly) ordered a F21 without.

F20/F21 could have (depending on the market) the following climate control configurations:
1. Basic: no automatic regulation (but dials are electric (not mechanic) controls)
2. Basic automatic: with Auto button, temperature sensor and a fdial for setting the temperature
3. Dual automatic: with Auto button, 1 temperature sensor, 2 displays for setting the temperature and other sensors (e.g. su sensor)

The climate control board for versions 2 and 3 are visible in this site:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?m ... g=64&fg=20
specifically:
2. diagram "AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING CONTROL"
3. diagram "CONTROL UNIT, AUTOMATIC AIR COND.,HIGH"

Furthermore it seems that the disassembly of the central console (necessary for the substitution of the control unit) is a simple and fast activity:

For my understanding passing from configuration 1 to 2 should be possible (question: after the substitution of the control unit an update of the control unit is probably necessary: how/who could perform this); passing from configuration 1 to 3 is most likely more difficoult or impossible (other parts are different, for example an additional dial near the upper central air distribution elements is present).

Unfortunately in Germany the BMW reseller answer to a request for upgrade is denied (only configuration 1 and 3 are available here): is this the same in other country? could be the answer of another BMW reseller different or they receive instruction of dening request outside the normal configuration available for the country?

Last edited by and0rea; 12-13-2012 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0