View Single Post
      04-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #20
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgambler View Post
So for me the answer is clear, the gearbox and ECU flirt with each other by design.

There's less of an effect switching back to Comfort and Auto gears although I have noticed that the gearbox will make heavier use of engine braking if just the selector is switched.

This caught me out a bit when I pressed the Comfort button at the end of a slip road whilst still slowing down as the box changed up a gear unexpectedly when I was coasting. So in the end I had to apply more brake than I expected as less speed than I wanted was scrubbed off.
I like the expression "flirt" In addition to the driver's, there's several brains at work in this car and one hopes they are always cooperating at least, if not flirting!

No doubt, there are some parts of the coding that are openly in conflict, especially when it comes to performance vs economy, and the human brain needs to bear these in mind when you make any of those mode switch changes. Flick to Econ at the wrong time, and you're confronted with a car that responds like it's driving through molasses
Appreciate 0