Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avneetrekhi20 View Post
If i have to come down to my 3 must have requirements, it'll be :-

- <4 yrs old (F20) and <50k miles
- Navigation
- Economy (so not looking for sports trim)
Save on built-in navigation: it's hugely expensive (maps upgrades too, search the forum or query a dealer. It's possible to make it cheap buying online though, but do the sellers earn the money?) but (reportedly) less functional than standalone. Sports trim is worth it, absolutely: if not sport suspension (to your taste, a must for me), sport seats are much more comfortable and so is the sport steering wheel. Sport brakes too, even if you're not to brake hard: (much) more confidence.

Quote:
Que -1. Though this model is higher than my allocated budget, Is it worth spending additional £1.5k? (My budget is £13k tops)
You should make it clear (to yourself ) what is that it for you that "is or is not worth it". The 120d you've described is a fat one, so it should cost. To find out if it's a nice price compare it to siblings. To find out if it has anything you want "that much" ask yourself.

A short answer from the information you've shared is "no". Don't do that because:
1. It's a used car. You should be ready for maintenance expenses;
2. As a beginner driver you are unlikely ready to drive it to the limit safely. You should be more concerned about not smashing it at once. While a less powerful thing accelerates you have valuable time to consider if you really need to do that.

Quote:
Que -2. Can i try to negotiate price with the dealer? Is it normal? If dealer does negotiate, how much reduction can i expect? If he doesnt, can i ask for any add on's?
A simple search for "discount" on this forum (notice the box at the page's bottom) brings quite some discussions of this matter from your fellow countrymen:

F20 120d bought

M135i UK deals...

Sales advice for a BMW virgin

how do you get a discount off list price on a BMW 1 in the UK

Advice on getting a good deal

IN PROCESS OF BUYING F20 1series

Notice JonF1982 in particular: vast, convincing advices, for what it's worth. In a person's profile you can find all the messages, if interested.

Quote:
Que -3. Is it safe to assume 120d is an upgrade over 118d? I have noticed that the fuel economy is almost same in those 2 vehicles. Is that true though?
Of course it's quite an upgrade: look at the engine and performance figures. IMHO, fuel economy depends on two things in general: the technology behind and your driving style. The engines are the same from the former standpoint. No magic here: you can certainly burn more in a bigger oven.

Quote:
Que -4. If i have to sell the vehicle in say 2-3 years time, what sort of depreciation is expected (in %) under normal running condition? & does having some decent config helps in re-selling?
AFAIK:
1. The more depreciated it is the less depreciation remains;
2. Yes it does but hardly price-wise: they do want your options but mostly for free (Aren't you buying? Look at yourself. ).

Quote:
Que -5. Can i have blind faith in the car given i am buying from BMW?
Of course not. Just as with all other things.
Appreciate 0