01-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #82
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/18/v...th-turbo-four/

Not sure if this applies to all markets or just US or North America. Also, of course, this is just rumor for now.

The 400+hp I5 TFSI is likely to stay a prototype IMHO, or at the most it will be used only in a high end vehicle such as a production version of the Quattro concept.

I think the I4 2.0 TFSI is very capable of 300hp+ with some R&D. Will VAG go this route? I don't know.
OK - regarding the NA I5 it makes obviously sense for VAG to switch to a FI I4. This is general downsizing...
But for the FI I5? What will Audi tell its customers of an TT-RS+ when they switch to the successor? Will FI-technology in 3-4 years be that sophisticated to pump out 380hp+ from a 2.2/2.3 liter I4 without being laggy/bad responsive as hell?
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
As far as I know, there is nothing nearly that firm known about the six cylinder turbocharged M engine yet. There is a lot of speculation, yes, and I tend to agree that it will be something like what you describe. But we don't know.

As for the four cylinder turbocharged M engine, there is a little more room to play with displacement from what I know about the block. So, it could be 2.2L, or perhaps even a little more. That could yield 330hp to 350hp which would be just about right.
OK - if there is room for changed bore/stroke like you expect... then we would end up at something like 155hp/l - this is a value I can trust in ....
Nevertheless it is technically a huge effort/challenge for the M to develop such an engine which will obviously be compared with the current N54 3 liter Bi-Turbo, which produces the same power with ease...
Do they expect such high sales volume for the M2, that this development pays back?
Appreciate 0