View Single Post
      01-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #79
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I wonder if VAG will continue with the I5 TFSI past the current generation of cars? They seem to be backing away from the N/A I5 from what I can tell, so will the turbo version continue? I could see them falling back on the I4 2.0 TFSI for future PQ3*-based performance offerings. Just thinking out loud there.
This is news to me. I had the impression Audi is quite happy with the 2.5 TFSI - they got positive feedback. Additionally they showed their Quattro concept car in Paris with an 408 hp version of the 5cyl 2.5TFSI...
Their current 2.0 I4 TFSI maxes out at 280hp currently in the Audi TT-S. I dont know whether this engine is able to go beyond 300hp?
I expect only with major changes, which cost money! So - why not stick with the 5cyl. engine?

Quote:
Anyway, AFAIK, the M2 engine situation is no more clear today than it has been in the past. Even the M3/M4 engine is still a topic of debate. Maybe the M 6 cylinder will blow us away as far as hp/L achievements, paving way for a similar I4.
For the upcoming I6 S55 for the M3/M4 we are not in the dark I think compared to the M2 engine....
S55 will be an I6 N55 reinforced block with new Forced induction technology.
Performance about 450hp. That means "only" 150hp per liter displacement, which is quite conservative... An N20 based I4 for the M2 with the same hp/l performance would just reach 300hp... which is not enough to keep up with the current straight line performance of the 1 M Coupe....

Quote:
As for the chance of 6 cyl 1/2 series, maybe it will become more clear after they've unveiled the 3-door and the N20-based models in Geneva.
Yep - so we will have to wait....
Appreciate 0