View Single Post
      07-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #24
VintageFD
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & Rx7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
Even the oil consumption part is notoriously blown out of proportion. The car burns oil BY DESIGN, i.e. it is DIRECTLY INJECTED into the housing during operation. You can't use that fact against it. I owned an RX8 for 5 years.
Its weird, when I bought my FD I was expecting to put half a quart every fill up since thats what all the rumors suggested. I literally but 1/5 a quart every 3-4 fill-ups. I started to believe something some wrong with my oil metering pump but later learned its just normal. Apex seals or better yet the engine will last you as long as you have proper lubrication and tuning/fuel. Premix helps. This is coming from me whos been at 400whp for many years. 500whp is next after I add some water injection which is reliability mod also.

As for the chassis, FD's are still kicking ass in Time attacks worlwide. Pretty sure the chassis is still competitive. Fornt/Rear double wishbone is a thing of rarity now a days also.

EDIT:
Another cool thing about the rotary is its throttle response and ability to spool turbos quickly given their high volume of exhaust gas. This is a crappy and short footwork video I have but it does a good job at showing the relationship with throttle input/response. The turbo is an EFR 8374 which is a pretty big size but also responsive. Warmup lap ends at around 1:25

For reference
2nd gear-65mph
3rd gear 100mph
4th gear- 140mph

1977 Trans Am Year One 383 stroker (for sale)

Last edited by VintageFD; 07-01-2015 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0