View Single Post
      10-21-2013, 03:17 AM   #14
Crazyfists
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Sept 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egeira View Post
I'm both sad for your sake and glad that I'm not alone. It's been real tricky finding anyone else experiencing this. I watched your video from another thread and it is spot on.

http://youtu.be/TdGR8wy-4fk
  • A little more distinct when when cold but not much better when warm.
  • It excels around 1500 rpm going uphill and stutters a bit back and forth.
  • You can provoke the sound a bit by gently accelerating around 1500 rpm.
  • Only happens under acceleration (can't reproduce the sound on neutral).

I visited my dealer regarding this and they dismissed me with "it's nothing to worry about". Frankly I dont care if it is nothing to worry about, it still makes the ride sound cheap as hell in combination with the squeeking doors...

I'm starting to suspect the turbo heat shield resonating and causing these sounds. Did you find a solution to this yet?

I'm thinking this might be something that have been adressed in later f20's since I see no one complaining about it and the only one that I have come across is you which also have an early f20. Mine is a 118i Urban from September 2011. Apprently something is changing in 2012/01... Maybe they've forgot the 140 Hz vibration absorber.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...&fg=55&lang=en

I'm going to try and rig a mic for a recording this week and go one more round with the dealer. Hope you found a solution to this and it's now running good Please let me know either way.
My mind officially blown. After all the troubles I have had and all the research on the forums I came across this snippet about the 140hz absorber and guess what. MINE IS MISSING COMPLETELY!!!!

Now I dont know if this is going to make a huge difference but it clearly must do something to deaden the noise. Its now on order and hopefully gettign fitted this week. I cannot tell you what a break through this is. After replacing the CAT, the turbo and numerous test drives in other cars and visits to the dealer Im actually at the stage of handing the car back and getting something else in collaboration with BMW!!!! Now at the last minute I looked over the forums again (having been told not to by the dealer as this "could lead me down the wrong path") and having read this before but not knowing exactly the make up of the turbo this time, in desperation and just to ensure I had covered all the bases (granted not my job but hey ho) I looked more closely at the picture and low and behold, the absorber is not under the shields but clearly visible on the outside.
I went throught o shwo the finding to the dealer on friday at 5.55pm, I just couldnt wait. They are a great bunch of lads truly they are and im sure they wont mind me saying their faces were a picture and i so wish I could be there this morning to see the techs face.
Now im realistic and dont think it will completely cure the noise but I reckon it will make a difference and bring it in line with others and not be as loud, here's hoping.

You couldnt make it up could ya!!!
Appreciate 0