11-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #50
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixcat View Post
Agree!

If BMW really put N55 in the F2x 1er and 2er, then the M2 will be forced to also have a N55, since in US market, people will not buy a turbo I4 M2, knowing there is a turbo I6 135i/235i available, no matter how BMW claim the I4 will save how many weight. No need to mention all people know the turbo I6 will have much better tuning potential than the I4.
OK - I can't speak about the US customers... but at least here in germany enthusiasts not only buy numbers.
In case BMW would decide for 135/235 with N55 and an M2 with S20 (N20 derivate) you could expect at least an S20 with 2.2 - 2.3l displacement with 160hp/l -> translating to 360-370 hp and of course all the other M goodies: More lightweight, different/wider track, LSD, Carbon roof...

Never would I and many others prefere a boring N55 135i over such an M2!

And regarding tuning potential: BMW does not have to care about it! How many percent of N55 owners will decide to tune? Less than 1 percent. So it simply doesn't matter. Moreover N55 is not that tuning friendly as N54 as we all know. Pushing it beyond 360hp (stable/reliably) needs more than just ECU update, but real hardware... a fool who is preferring this over a perfect package like an M2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixcat View Post
But now the N55 M2 will cause trouble for the F3x M3/M4, since they are all N55 based, it can be very easy to tune the M2 to have equal or higher hp output than the stock M3/M4; or we can say after tuning, both M2 and M3/M4 will have similar output. If this really happens, the M2 will not have sufficient gap with the M3/M4 to justify its existence. In this case, who will buy a much expensive and heavier M3/M4?

This is very simple and straight forward logic, I just can't believe BMW will make such I6 135/235 decision.
In case BMW decides to go for I6 in he M2 and M3/4, I expect huge differences in hardware. Think about bi-turbo setup in an M2 vs. tri-turbo setup in M3/M4. Additionally M3/M4 could have share the same block but have highend pistons and stuff that allow 700rpm more ...
Appreciate 0