08-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, 118d & 125i f20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carto4 View Post
I agree with your opinion even if I just tried this autobox for a few miles. But I think I'm too young for getint an autobox, and I think I may learn more with the manual one for the moment.

A part from this, the xDrive is a MUST for me, due to the climate from where I live, and as far as I'm concerned, 120xd won't have the autobox as an option, just manual gearbox.

Thanks Piero

Carto4,

I guess it is very very hard to say it is a "MUST" for either manual or auto.

I am the old school and I have "heel & toe" & "double de-clutch". I love doing some hot laps in national parks and occasion race course as well.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to go for the previous gen auto (6 speed). But the current one is really smart.

If you are in Sport or even Sport+ mode as I do, you can stay in the rev that you want. Of course if you wanna use full throttle and stay right on the red line for extended period of time, the auto gear box won't let you do that.

But you need to ask yourself the question why do you wanna use "full throttle & stay right on red line"? Maybe you should consider changing that habit

With the 8 speed auto, you can combine that with Sport or Sport+ with peddle shift, you can select any gears you want.

I know maybe M5 is not the best gearbox example, but the new 8 speed on M5 (SMG tho) are really really good as well. At least I know it shift WAY faster than me

Once again, my point is a few year back, auto is not good for driving fun at all. But right now, the new 8 speed really change the story. BMW invest a lot in this gearbox to maintain the driving pleasure while giving you the extra fuel economy options.

Piero