View Single Post
      01-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #20
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11, F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
It has to be said that recovering slides with the F20 is remarkably easy. The steering is quick, and the car is well balanced. Even without DSC or DTC enabled, it snaps back to going straight if the driver makes a correction. With the systems enabled, the car straightens itself unless you fight it.

As long as you avoid actually spinning the tyres, the balance is pretty much unaffected by what you do with the throttle/brakes. Unlike many older BMWs, the F20 is controlled mainly by the steering also in slippery conditions, not the pedals. Aim the steering where you want the front of the car to go, and the car will do so.
+1 on this.

I've tried a bit wit our 116i, and it is rather amazing how easy it is to have controlled drifts/slides with this car and have the opportunity to exit the drift with just a correction on the steering wheel - totally undramatic. Especially with DTC enabled, you can have very much fun, and also get noticably more traction, without being afraid of doing 180deg spins. Even my girlfriend enjoys it with DTC enabled! She thinks it's very fun to drive under slippery conditions!
Appreciate 0