View Single Post
      11-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
De30m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2022 GLC300D

as a day to car the M135i is a better car than the M3, it is more economical, a little more agile and does the Dr Jekyll bit better than the M3 (e92) which always feels like you are driving around with a tightly coiled spring / weapon barely contained.

the turbo torque also helps drivability, the V8 M3 occasionally needing some encouragement, although not much stayed ahead for long if they got ahead.

I would choose the M3 again (perhaps not the new F80 series as I am not sure the engine will be special enough) if I could afford the running costs, saying that I will try to get into one once the 1st year enthusiasm dies down.

I did 18k miles at an average 19mpg in the M3 in a a year, adding in finance costs and running costs it was just too much.

however all the above pales into insignificance when you get on a track or the right road and start to push (Mr Hyde). The lack of LSD in the M135 means it aways runs out of ability to put its power down and ultimately is a less satisfactory chassis to push on with.

at a BMW car club track day I was happily driving around silverstone GP circuit watching 400bhp mapped 335is and other non M cars struggling to put their power down, lurching about at the rear under load like the M135i does while the M3 chassis was just so much more competent, in corners, in the wet, under power, just pushing the power where it can use it, everywhere.

if you think an M135i is rearward led in corners or under power, you need to drive a V8 M3 in the upper rev range. it is both a handful and far more agile if that makes sense.

if the new one is as good as the old one (and it will be at least that good) then it will be a brilliant car.

BUT, the F80 is a far bigger car than the old one in that it appears to be more of a GT from the tests I've read and seeing one in the showroom.

I think the F80 will be more economical, but on the basis that I'm getting about 24avg in the M135i and 19mpg in the V8 M3, I doubt I'd do much better in the new one with all that torque to play with (like the M135i)

in answer to your question,

I think an M2 if it comes off, or an M235i with the LSD would be a pretty tough car for the new F80 M3 to beat as it takes all the good of the M135i and overcomes the limitations, and I think it would in 9/10 occasions beat that V8 M3 too.

but drive an M3 and then try to say no.....

Gone - M440i - Brooklyn Grey Tacora red, 797s, HK, M Technology pack, Visibilty & shadow line plus

Last edited by De30m; 11-18-2014 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0