10-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
You're right! The price is great at around R3000. Maybe that's for one light though because it seems too cheap LOL.

You say its plug and play, so it would even work on a base 116i, which is good...You know what, you have actually helped me decide on my first (and only) mod for my F20 if I eventually get one.

I agree with how behind BMW is on rear light technology, but I would rather have a 1 series over that overpriced A-class. I do like the A-class but have you seen how MB has sneakily increased the price of them, so the base 90 kW A180 is actually slightly more expensive than a 118i!! It's a major jump from R274K to R315K and it supposedly competes with the 116i. The A3 on the other hand is priced well and the LED lights are phenomenal.
I'm sure I read somewhere it's plug and play and it doesn't throw up an error message with the tail lights now being LED instead of normal bulbs. But double check before you go buy them! I thought the same thing about it being for 1 when I saw the price

I hadn't checked on A class prices of late, I remember they were launched at really good prices and got points in reviews because of that. But there were like none available in the country, dealers couldn't even find me an A250 to look at. Always thought those prices were too good to be true I guess. But that's merc SA for you. For years they said their motorplan was better cause it was 6 years/120 000km... but left out the "staggered customer contribution" part, I.E. second year merc pays 80% customer pays 20%, third year merc pays 70% customer pays 30% etc This came as a rather nasty surprise to owners as their cars got older.

However I sat in a few at the motorshow and you know when a car just feels "wrong"? First thing you notice is that silly infotainment screen that looks like a stuck on garmin. And then seats, in the bmw you can tilt the whole seat up and down, on the merc you can only move the front but the back stays put.

It's small stuff, but suffice to say if I had gone the route of ordering an A250 blind without seeing one, like so many other people did, I would have been very disappointed when I finally got to sit in my new car that I had waited for much longer than I did my BM which I spec'd and ordered from the factory.

The A3 on the other hand... drove a 1.8T quattro and was all very nice and worked out quite a bit cheaper than my car... but just didn't do it for me.

Got to check out the S3 at the motorshow and all I'm saying is... if I had to replace my car tomorrow, up until I saw that S3 I would have just got an identical F21... now there might wind up being an Audi in my driveway
Appreciate 0