View Single Post
      05-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Growing concerns with ECU installs

A friend of mine is ordering ECU from Hartge or SuperChips for his M135i. I elected not order with him. Here is the reason, and I always like to hear what the forum has to say.

So there is ~relatively~ little engine tuning parts inside the bonnet. No one touches the turbo, no pulleys, cams, or some such for any 1 series. Not that they are required, they are either very hard to find or are simply nonexistent, at least compare to the BRZ (based totally on perception and could be different regionally). For the sake of this discussion, let's put the factory warranty aside or awhile.

These ECU units promise so much yet cost relatively little for the power gain they claim. One of the concerns I have is some ECU company claims their chip is superior than the factory one in every way, power, torque, and responses. Some even promises better fuel economy together with gain. If that is so, why did BMW not include in the car at least as one of the modes? I am very sure BMW would have the extra 20 hp simply for advertising when the A45 AMG hits the market. I just think there is some solid reason behind BMW not doing what the custom ECU companies do, and my personally feeling is that it might has something to do with reliability.

Most after market companies claim the increased in power and torque comes from "remapping the characteristics of the engine." It scares me talking about any remapping because all they have to play with really are fuel/air ratio and fuel injection timing? Does it not seem like the after market ECU is telling the factory system something different? (I don't want to say the after market ECU "fools" the factory system) I think BMW M performance division will probably know their performance curve better than anyone else, yet they do not do it themselves. It also worries me a little when they talk about power and torque increase, they never talk about when the peak value happen, or what range the peak value happen.

I personally would not go for any ECU upgrades; I am concerned about the secret sorcery that goes on inside. Would you go for an after market ECU if the price is fair?

Last edited by westphone; 05-21-2013 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0