View Single Post
      04-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
Thomas118i
Rep
Drives: 118i

Active sound confusion - 3 cylinder 118i...

I test-drove a 116i with manual gearbox at my local dealer and just loved the sound of the 3 cylinder engine. I wanted an automatic, so I also tried a 318iA. To my surprise, the 318iA didn't have the sound of the 116i at all. It was dead silent. The dealer didn't seem to be aware of the different sound, but supposed it would have to be a result of more soundproofing in the 3-series. After finding several videos on the net showing the 118i with automatic and the same awesome sound I experienced in the 116i, I ordered a 118iA.

After 8 weeks my new car arrived, and my dissappointment was hard to hide when the car had the same total lack of engine noise as the 3-series I had tested.

The dealer says the different sounds must be a consequence of the different gearboxes, but that sounds odd to me, especially after watching the videos on the net.

I have driven the i8 hybrid which has the same engine, and the sund in this car is very much like the sound in the 116i. The i8 uses ASD, and therefore I suspect the 116i which I tested, and the cars from the videos, to also be equipped with ASD. But if this is correct, then why doesn't my car have the same ASD module?? And if the ASD-theory is false, then the question still is; Why does my car totally lack the great purring sound of the 3 cylinder engine which sits under the bonnet..???
Appreciate 0