View Single Post
      08-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #352
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojt View Post
My 2013 114i (bought and registered summer 2014 though, so about a year in use now) has a bit over 10.000km on the clock. No real problems to report. The minor annoyances:
  • Fogging headlight, just one, and it's pretty bad at times.
  • Cigarette lighter fuse blew during the first couple of months. Not sure if this was a defect of the car.. I might've dropped something in there or my USB adapter plug was faulty.
  • Some rattling sound at low revs, high gear and accelerating. Might be one of the heat shields a bit loose?
  • Annoying wastegate hissing when releasing throttle after acceleration, especially on Sport mode.
  • Squeaky doors, but I resolved this by cleaning up the felt(ish) and rubber parts, and cleaning well + waxing the areas around the doors. Also got some einszett gummipflege for the rubber

OK, maybe the headlight issue is a real problem.

The wastegate (at least, I suppose it is the wastegate) hiss is a weird one, but I understood it should be normal. Does anyone else notice this sound? I kinda get the feeling this is specific to 114i

I have the first service coming up next month - only 10.000km a year, and all in city - and I think I will mention the foggy headlight and the various annoying sounds. Though I'm 95% sure the sounds are either normal, or even if they're not, the dealer will say they are. And I'm not expecting them to fix the headlight either really. Oh well.. maybe an oil change at least.
> [*]Cigarette lighter fuse blew during the first couple of months. Not sure if this was a defect of the car.. I might've dropped something in there or my USB adapter plug was faulty.

I found the lighter socket (I have a mandatory smoker's package though I don't smoke and do hate smoking) too tight for my phone's charge plug (the car manual warns against force pushing - they knew! ) but the passenger footwell additional socket is just all right! So the lighter socket isn't really a power socket I suppose. I recall a news of a Honda burnt by charging a phone from the lighter and the warranty was denied! Yet, BMW offers OEM accessory USB adapters which must be fine. To prevent dropping into, I see a dummy plug cover in my rear passengers' power socket (I have the storage package) but it might not fit the lighter socket due to diameter difference. I never take the lighter out.

> [*]Some rattling sound at low revs, high gear and accelerating. Might be one of the heat shields a bit loose?

It's the wrong gear, for sure. I don't recall any rattling for whatever reason it could be (although I even stalled the engine a few times, honestly).

> [*]Annoying wastegate hissing when releasing throttle after acceleration, especially on Sport mode.

Don't release.

> [*]Squeaky doors

You must have just too many of those.

> The wastegate (at least, I suppose it is the wastegate)

It is.

> Does anyone else notice this sound?

Yes: "Turbo Whoosh and a random squeak".

> I kinda get the feeling this is specific to 114i

114i isn't really quite specific: the same engine detuned programmatically.

> And I'm not expecting them to fix the headlight either really.

They must as you can show them the difference (one foggy, the other clear). Just don't let them escape the inevitable.
Appreciate 0