07-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #63
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
You wrongly assume both gearboxes are mapped the same and both cars have a similar width speed range in each gear.

In reality the ZF box in the diesel changes up early even with medium throttle inputs, with similar throttle inputs in the petrol the gears are held longer. Why? Because after 2750rpm the torque on the 330d is dropping away quickly, by 3500rpm it has less than the M135i. Unless you are on a very light throttle you'd probably find the petrol is in the same gear or even one less than the diesel. Driving in comfort mode briskly the ZF will happily keep the revs 3k-4krpm on the petrol. That's the petrols mid-range, still having another 1000rpm ceiling of maximum torque and 3000rpm below the red line.

And on the motorway with both cars in 8th the 330d only has a maximum of a 4% advantage (Before weight) and at the legal limit it's actually below it's peak torque figure, it doesn't reach that until 80mph. In 8th in the M135i the car has maximum torque available from 45mph to 155mph.

You can play these figures all day but the petrol cars shift down well before kickdown is operated and a lower gear is just 200 milliseconds away. We all know the result then.

Cheers
Lee
You're right on the vanishing torque and power as from mid-range with the d, but you're talking already big numbers... not something you tap every sluggish within town driving.

When you're in highest gear, you're also right, the i will have higher rpm compared to the d which will have lost to large extent the torque advantage. On the other hand, it will consume 25% less delivering the same ooomph.

I refer to most other occasions where you just foolishly put your foot half way down at low rpm. For me this would be the dominant experience since it corresponds to mildly filled roads/highways during rush hour but also during off rush driving on roads filled with rediculous speed traps.

I fully agree when you live in Bayern, and drive mainly during night and off peak hours or you live on post 1 of the Nordschleiffe and go to work in post 2. Then the M135i is certainly the one yo have.

On the other hand, it's maybe also skewed to compare a passionate machine like the M135i with a more rational but also overqualified 330d? Don't know, both have same TCO though. YOLO... that's what youngsters say these days, not?
Appreciate 0