07-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #51
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
I think the point ovekam is making is how you drive a manual transmission car that has an engine that produces high torque from low revs; and yes, the question was why, when driving a manual, you would be in a gear that dropped the engine revs below the minimum, ie, 1300rpm, at which this torque is produced. The AT doesn't do this, so provided you are thinking about it, neither will a good manual driver. A good manual driver will ride the torque plateau, exactly like the AT, but maybe the shifts aren't as fast...and will be fewer!
You state the AT is never dropping rpm below torque peak? Hmmm??? I guess your AT needs some servicing then.

The 330d has a beefy 560Nm, the M135i has a respectable 450Nm. The 330d just delivers ~24% more grunt at low rpms, and seen it hits in a few rpms lower, it will provide you with at least this surplus every single time you push the accelerator. It's as simple as that.

Where the M135i reigns is in the higher rpms of course, and not with a small margin. But really, could you count the seconds/year that you actually call more than 255hp driving your car? I guess those seconds tick away with a big smile on your face... but they are mighty expensive too.
Appreciate 0