View Single Post
      06-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #91
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Owning a car has never been a criterium to say something usefull about it. That's why I generally value professional journalists driving all kind of cars all day long more than the average joe that only drives that single specific car.

When I would own a M135i, it will not put my opinion above the one of Steve's. I could only conclude that maybe my preferences lay a bit different.
Nothing wrong with that, provided we all bear in mind that
  • All car reviews are subjective
  • Car reviews test aspects of performance and use that are often irrelevant to the daily needs of most drivers
  • There's relatively few motoring journos who are professional drivers
  • Professional drivers often can't write, write logically, and/or have quite big gaps in their technical knowledge. Also, one should never assume they are unbiased, because they typically have a number of commercial interests that are not disclosed
  • Car tests are often done in quite a short time, ie, the test drivers are exposed to them for quite short periods.
  • Most cars evolve for the better over time, with development.

Motor test journalists regularly contradict themselves, or make comments they've heard others make (eg, Audi - front heavy, numb steering) which I find really annoying.

Yes, they help inform us, as consumers, but they're not handing out tablets of stone, just subjective opinions based on their individual cognitive biases. Just like me!
Appreciate 0