11-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
I hate to say it, despite all its improved gadgetry and power, it's officially just a heavy sled with rockets (like most Benzs / AMGs). I respect it has more power, increased torque, etc, but it's styling isn't better than the last SL, and it does look awkward (even in person) from some angles. The lines are simply messy and the car is too slab sided. I guarantee that the front and rear are going to get a face lift in the next 24 months. The angular approach Benz try to undertake here was a mistake.

All in all, if I were in the market for a car like this, I'd rather spend less money and get a nice second hand SL55 optioned out from the last generation vs. this new one. Better yet, I'd just get a M6 with all the options.
I personally agree with some of your points, but again, this is my dads car. He will never push it near its potential and really just wanted a nice GT type car where he can put the top down. He also personally will never buy used and he also prefers the styling and interior appointments of Mercedes over BMW and Audi. If it were me ... M6 all day.

But for the market it is aiming at, I think the SL does a perfect job. And he did have the outgoing model, and we both personally like this new one quite a bit better.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0