06-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #34
spoonflames
Harvesting Information
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: White M135i 5dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
Interesting, what's the build date and how did you present your issue to the dealer, idling noise or chattering on drive etc?
Hi Bob,

My car is 30/5/2012.

I basically called the dealer and stated that i wanted an issue investigating;

Noise at idle, and also when at speed
noise increases in frequency at speed, but not pitch
Described as a chattering/chain type noise (I actually also mentioned it sounded like a pair of Maracas shaking!)
quiet, or non-existent when clutch is pressed or when engine is cold
louder when engine is warm

I took it in having travelled 40 or so miles to the dealer, so it was warm when i got there. As they were calling me a taxi to take me to work, the engineer came out and asked if i could quickly go through it with him whilst the engine was warm. Started it up and it was there, very apparent, he popped the bonnet and immediately listened near the top right of the engine cover and agreed there was something to diagnose.

I left the car there, but later realised i may need it the following day (today) so asked the status. The kind lady said a PuMA case had been sent off to Germany and may take a day or so to return, but said i can use the car in the mean time. She also said the engineer had come across 3 or so more of the same issue, specifically with an N47 engine. And mentioned a replacement was there but would do no good, as a 'newer' version of the parts are required, and they are factory order. I am first for the parts, which i don't have a list of unfortunately but will post when i do, i was told it was something related to the timing chain/tensioner.

Keep you posted.
Appreciate 0