View Single Post
      08-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, 118d & 125i f20

In response to some of the post here, the best way is to refer to the user handbook if you got one.

On page 64, it provides the following:

"Manual Shift Mode M/S: Avoiding Automatically Changing Up

To reach the maximum the engine speed in manual shift mode M/S it automatically upshifts as needed.

With the SPORT AUTOMATIC GEARBOX, these automatic shift processes are not carried out if one of the following conditions is met:

1) DSC deactivated
2) TRACTION activated
3) SPORT+ activated

The Kick-Down is also deactivated."

Even with manual gearbox, you may not wanna use the wrong gear, like extremely over-rev or under-rev. That will blown the engine as well. Of course the auto gearbox won't allow you to do that. Just for the sake of protection.

If your speed are within the normal range, you can shift into the lower gear if you like, and you can stay there to the redline, and it won't upshift.

I have already tired that out. This work on mine.

But if anyone are talking about saying at the redline for extended period of time like a min or two, I guess nobody will do that even with a manual gearbox. Some silly over-rev (with excessive speed for such a gear can handle) can kill an engine. If anyone are doing this, I guess this is more about a bad driving habit and no technology can help with such a silly attempt to kill an engine.

Once again, simple technique as suggested by BMW and that works on the new Sport Gearbox. I am not sure if the same happen on normal gearbox or not.

Common sense applied as per driving a normal manual. I stay with the reasonable manual rules and it works on this new Sport Gearbox.

I am going back on the road and trying to enjoy more driving fun now

Last edited by pierokwong; 08-25-2012 at 07:07 AM..
Appreciate 0