View Single Post
      12-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #42
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
rikk, I guess you are starting to fall in love with it gently?? It would have been a disappointment for me reading you would still go totally for the (cheaper, FWD) Golf. Although the Golf is a ripe and polished car, the RWD 1-series will have to blast it away in almost every relevant aspect.
Yes, I'm loving the car more and more and the car itself also seems to get better by the day. The engine is loosening up, the audio system and exhaust are sounding much better, the tires are scrubbed in and even fuel economy is improving.

I certainly don't want to go back to the GTI.

I still miss the GTIs engine though. Apart from the sound issue it launched with much more authority from cruising speeds. I can't quite put my finger on the difference yet. Cruising on highway speeds the the part-throttle response in Sport is about the same (nice and eager, not laggy) but at WOT it just takes half a second before those Audi X-mas lights in your mirrors start disappearing. From then on it just starts pulling like a train, no complaints. Tried different gears but doesn't seem to matter much.. Maybe good response to part-throttle and a slightly laggy response to WOT is some kind of characteristic of the twinscroll technology?

But apart from that I love the car! In fact I'm going to take another peek at it through the curtains right now

Last edited by rickk; 12-05-2012 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0