05-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #60
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprooney View Post
Hi how are you? Im not frustraded or anything like that. But im realistic the N55 matted with the DCT gearbox is amazingly fast! Also i have been reading info on this car for a lot of time and many say that on internal tests it is as fast as the 1M if not faster. Personally I love hactbacks! but nothing against the 1M!

Good Luck
+1 about the hatchbacks, I love them too. That's one thing I love about this new car, its versatility. I couldn't like the looks yet though, especially from front and this is despite the gorgeous blue color.

Another plus is a xdrive alternative, now that version with a auto box can be faster than a 1M at least in a drag race due to huge launch advantages (where 1M is weakest) plus it will be a much safer and weather proof car.

The interior is better quality too. So lots of things to like about this car indeed.

On the other hand, since I love the cartoonish bulldog looks of the 1M plus I always prefer a good manual to any automatic, it may not be my cup of tea.

With an open differential and an intermediate level of sporty suspension this car can not be compared to a 1M or a M3 in the chassis/handling department where it matters most for a M car anyway. But most drivers will not care about that too.

My initial impression is BMW made it right by calling it a M135i (a tone below a real M car if that's the intention) which will give it a broader customer appeal and options that are not available in cars like 1M which are destined for a narrower customer (enthusiast) profile, while keeping it fast and efficient. But for people who look for a follower to 1M they need to wait for another 2 years or so for the real deal which will possibly be named a M2. That one has to do better than this "almost-M hatch" and also better than the actual 1M in providing driving fun.

In the meantime I would like to read from serious reviewers how it will fare against great handling fwd or awd hatches like Renault Megane 265 Trophy, VW Golf/Scirocco R or the new Opel/Vauxhall Astra OPC which are direct competitors. This new BMW hatch has more power than those cars, rwd or xdrive and a newer design so it has to reign over existing super hatches first. Then Audi and others will bring more serious rivals.
Appreciate 0