01-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #12
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
ovekvam, what do you guys do over in Norway when the snow comes upto front bumper level? Force the car through, or are you concerned about damaging the undercarraige/bumper like i was this week; and abandon ship?

Would be nice to hear how you guys cope, as you get deep snow alot more often than we do!! Unless your snow is different that is (ie denser)? Getting on top of the snow was fine, except the car just sunk in with its weight and marooned itself... need it to freeze abit now so i can get better traction and stop it slushing about!!
I'm not in norway but right next to them we got this in one day a few weeks ago;

there is mayhem when this happens, even if there are alot of plowing going on it's hard to clear it all quickly.

Some ppl leave the car like you did if that is an option. But if I really have to drive somewhere I try to dig the car out and not force the car through the snow too much but once you get going it's likely that some roads or parts of roads are not cleared. With no option of turning around or going any other route we do have to force through the snow sometimes with 3 possible outcomes;
1. ride hight is good enough
2. ride hight is not good enough -> force through and pray the snow is still nice and fluffy (if the temp stay low it's ok).
3. If it's not nice and fluffy but rather like concrete, we'll loose some plastic cover-plates from underneath, and perhaps a front or front-lip if one is lucky there was already someone ahead of you who did that, so you can use his/her tracks

usually I see mostly pieces of plastic lying around. We probably consume more cover-plates than you guys in uk. Usually there is not more damage than a lost coverplate that will be replaced next service.
Appreciate 0