mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post
Cool. Glad you took pictures. Just try to get 30 per second next time
Actually, the in car is at 60fps. But I haven't had time to go through the 100GB of video yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
Cool pics, the weather never cooperates on that island,
don't know how people deal with that.
I would be------>
Last what's the deal with all cars being automatic???
Is this for fuel economy, new edge of people or just too lazy to shift?
The auto is quicker and more economical than the manual! For the average driver the difference is probably even greater. No fumbling for a gear at the last moment, just a quick flick of the paddle and put your foot down again.

I'd say that for the average driver the only time you would miss the manual is driving at 50-75%. Below that the auto wafts along, and above that the concentration required means that paddles / auto are quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to post. It looked a great road trip. My cars on order and thanks to your post which a reassured me I've ordered the right colour (silver) No offence to any other owners of course. Out of interest didn't any of your route include the "Top Gear" road?
If you mean the Black Mountain Pass, then no. Just too far south to do in a day. There's a lot more Wales that we could have done, maybe next time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Great pics,,,,,love the coordinated car park and in-car scenic shots.

Interesting profile of drivers....seems the M135i appeals to a certain age group of fashion unconscious, denim loving males...(I would fit right in)

Regarding UK weather....there's an expression that goes something like;
"Don't like the weather? Give it 5 minutes; it'll change"

Also interesting the predominance of ATs. I have always hated ATs so was particularly nervous about ordering my car with AT, despite being really impressed at the test drive. Having driven the car for 1000 miles, partly on some really 'interesting' Yorkshire roads, I love the gearbox but am still adapting my driving style. The AT needs a very different approach given the lack of clutch and the speed of the shifts and I'm still not finding the rhythm that seemed intuitive with MT. Its in there for sure but requires a very different style of breaking and down shifting. Possibly has to do with needing to limit the revs, which is quite difficult in a car that shifts so quickly and revs so freely
I pretty much spent the day in Sport using the paddles. You almost have to forget about gears with so many on offer and just react and shift up / down as the car seems to need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Great story and pics...thank you!

As a matter of interest, does everyone's cars get a dirty rear end, especially if it's a bit wet? By that I mean obviously some sucked back dirt and road grime, as well as some exhaust carbon?
Being a hatch, the back end does get a bit dirty. Some before and after shots from it's clean today:

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0