View Single Post
      03-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #87
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504
Here's something to think about. Do you ever want to be a Grandpa? Do you ever want to see your child graduate high school? College? What about during the Holidays when you're in your 60's and your parents are passed away. Do you want to be alone? or would you like to have your grown children and grand children coming to visit. What about when you're 80 and your spouse passes away. Do you want to be in a nursing home or would you rather have your children be able to take care of you and call you and keep you company? Its not just the "kid" phase to think about. Its the rest of your life.
I think many of those things would provide a sense of accomplishment if I did well AND the kid gets a good shuffle of genes.

I only see my parents a once or twice per year- they live far away. They were the same with their parents at my age. I generally spend holidays with friends, so I'd continue to do that when I'm old. Women generally outlive men 😁

It'd be nice to have my child take care of me when I'm old, but one must also consider the burden on their lives- it should be a gift rather than an expectation. I think it's both selfish and foolish to expect your child to be your retirement plan

My grandpa is 82 and still traveling the world...skydiving, etc and as a consequence he enriches everyone's lives. People don't feel obligated to talk to him- they seek him out. That's the lifestyle I plan to live at that age
Appreciate 0